[lit-ideas] Re: The torture graph

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 11:40:20 -0400

This seems relevant, too.

One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We're no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It is simply too painful to acknowledge -- even to ourselves -- that we've been so credulous: Carl Sagan

Taken from here:
http://ursulastange.com/QuotationsfromICH.htm

John McCreery wrote:

Two quotes that express my position admirably.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter, and
lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham
Lincoln

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin