[lit-ideas] Re: The torture graph

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 22:26:48 -0700

Marlena wrote:

I would tend to trust (the majority of) our military to deal with extracting information from those who have information which would save more lives (and, indeed, there have been numerous accounts of our military and intelligence thwarting attacks which would have been horrific--see the account in Pediatrics which discussed how to care for children if an attack occurred...as there had been capture of those who were going to engage in a terrorist attack on Disneyland. This happened prior to 9-11---)

You would trust the cooks and bakers and company clerks to do this? There was information, obtained from someone who was trying to cross into the US at Port Angeles, Washington, about possible attacks on the Space Needle (the mayor of Seattle cancelled the city's official New Year's Eve celebration in 1999) and on Disneyland. Nobody had to 'extract' information from this man, Ahmed Ressam. He was not tortured. (Not by us.) The FBI claimed that it had no specific information about possible attacks, but other intelligence agencies disagreed. (There seems to have been lots of evidence found with him, including maps and timing devices.)

The miltary wasn't involved in any of this as far as I can tell. Just the Border Patrol and civilian agencies.

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute