[lit-ideas] Re: The torture graph

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 18:28:34 -0400

Julie: You guys are *so* good for my vocabulary...

I was playing fast and loose with a medical term. The point was bamboozling works both ways. Believing everything the government says, and not believing anything the government says...the same thing.

For all we know, this could be a case of "The NeoCon who cried Wolf!" Maybe we should have kept our powder dry for Iran? Many people did ask, "Why invade Iraq? Isn't Iran the real threat?"

Ego-Syntonic - The opposite of ego-dystonic, this term refers to behavior or mental acts, such as thoughts, feelings, and desires, which are seen as acceptable to the aims of the ego and the related psychological needs of the individual. The individual usually fails to see this behavior as a problem and simply considers it as part of their identity. http://www.sparknotes.com/psychology/abnormal/personality/terms.html

Ego-syntonic object manipulation: the formation of a submissive relationship.
Eckstaedt A.
Denial, acting on both the inner and external world, relies on further defence mechanisms in the form of object manipulations aimed at changing reality to make it fit the denying person's inner needs. If the object's ego is not strong enough to resist these manipulations, it is pressured into a submissive relationship. By means of seduction or its opposite, intimidation and the use of threats, the object is made to believe the content of the denying persons's inner or external world. The result is a mutually intrusive and reciprocal relationship in which the roles of victim and perpetrator alternate. This is the case when children are not allowed to acquire their own experiences during the process of transition from symbiosis to separation. Constant exposure to irritation leads to a regression of the ego, to the illusion that everything is possible in the 'we'. Object relations in adult life are then based on a parasitic need for the object in order to realize inner goals. In analysis this is manifested as symbiotic omnipotence, posing a 'serious stumbling block' to the analytic process, which may take the form of an 'as-if' analysis.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2793328&dopt=Abstract