[lit-ideas] Re: The beginning of the end in Iraq

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:19:26 +0100

You aren't hearing me, Eric.  Perhaps I should have been more
forthright. You'll know what the head of our army said, here's
what
the former head said

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1928576,00.html

as for your whingeing general; doesn't he know what a soldier's
job is?
He can suck it up.

> Eric: Do you agree that both Syria and Iran have interests
> in preventing Iraq from becoming "a peaceful and prosperous
> pluralist democracy"? If not, why not?

really that's irrelevant to my point that I don't want to see
Iraq laid waste and
called a democracy.

> Do you think the USA wants to see Iraq become something
> other than "a peaceful and prosperous pluralist democracy"?
> If so, why?

I think the powers that be in the US primarily want a stable
secular
 "anti-Islamist" Iraq that is no threat to the US and is
(ideally) an ally of the US. I think some of them also want Iraq
to be a democracy but to what extent they want that for the
people
of Iraq and to what extent they want it as a poster-boy for
democracy and to destabilise the region, is unclear to me.  What
is not unclear is that they want a democracy that votes the right
way.

I also think most of them want to get out, for reasons of
partisan politics.
That is not honourable.

(I also think they could be stuck there for 10 years. That means
we will be too, I imagine, while also taking on Afghanistan
because the US doesn't want to.)

But all this is somewhat tangential to my two points, a) that
opposing the war is not "wanting the US to lose it" b) that the
general, well, I've said it, he can suck it up.  Our soldiers
have had to do that right from the start. It's called "being a
soldier".

Judy