[lit-ideas] Re: The beginning of the end in Iraq

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:45:30 -0400

Lou Dobbs -- yes, Andy, I sometimes watch him -- had General Grange on yesterday to comment on Iraq. Dobbs set him up before the break by stating, "and next we'll have a general tell us that we're winning." When the general came on, Dobbs asked him something to the effect of why generals aren't fried if they don't produce results.

General Grange had a brief outburst that seemed to surprise Dobbs. He said, "Half of the country seems to want us to lose this war! Why do we want to lose this war? We can win it if we want to."

It was remarkable. I found myself cheering for Grange. Dobbs too had a nod of recognizing a true statement, smiling and shaking his head in agreement.

Yeah not a bad idea. Fight to win. Put the entire army in Iraq. Close the borders. Impose a news blackout. Kill all the militia, from the leadership down unless they disarm. Round up all the unemployed males and put them in stockades for a year or so, allowing them to go out on work details to rebuild. Give it a year and if it doesn't work, leave.

When you consider how ineptly the invasion was handled from the beginning, with not enough troops to win and just enough troops to lose ... one thinks Grange may have been an optimist in asserting that half of the country wants us to lose, that Bush & Co. also wanted us to lose.