[lit-ideas] Re: The Strident Voice of Defeat

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:47:39 -0800

Simon drew the same erroneous conclusion you did - very interesting.  Both
of you place the loss of Saddam's life above the loss of his army and his
nation; which probably is another sign of the times: loss of life trumps
everything else.  I said several times I wasn't interested in the hanging,
but Simon kept after me to say something about it anyway.  I really wasn't
interested.  So when I wrote my sentence, that wasn't even in my mind as
being included in "precisely what he deserved."    Surely everyone knows
that the loss of army and nation is more significant than loss of life . . .
well, maybe not everyone.

Lawrence