[lit-ideas] Re: The Strident Voice of Defeat

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:17:11 EST

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] The Strident Voice of
Defeat  Date: 1/11/2007 1:59:06 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

I noticed quite a long time ago in  Islamic theology that they believe God
decides who wins a battle or a war.   I also noticed that American politicians
were paying little attention to  that.  During the Bush Sr. & Clinton
Administrations the U.S.  gave various Islamic groups reason to claim victory.
Whether
it was Al  Qaeda or Saddam’s Iraq, they were encouraged and  exerted
themselves even more because Allah was on their side.  Allah had  given them
the
victory.  We need to be especially careful of that now in  Iraq.  As Thomas
Barnett
said in  the interview Brian posted, if we don’t do it right, we shall very
likely have  to go back.
I’ve been reading the  Brian-recommended The Looming Tower, Al-Qaeda and the
Road to 9/11 by Lawrence Wright.  Wright provides an excellent example of how
defeat is viewed.  On page 38 Wright writes, “. . . The speed and
decisiveness of the Israeli victory in the Six Day War humiliated many Muslims
who had
believed until then that God favored their cause.  They had lost  not only
their armies and their territories but also faith in their leaders, in  their
countries, and in themselves.  The profound appeal of Islamic  fundamentalism
in
Egypt and elsewhere was born in this  shocking debacle. A newly strident voice
was heard in the mosques; the voice  said that they had been defeated by a
force far larger than the tiny country of  Israel.  God had turned against  the
Muslims.  The only way back to Him was to return to the pure  religion.  The
voice answered despair with a simple formulation: Islam is  the solution. “
“. . . The primary target of  Egyptian Islamists was Nasser’s secular
regime.  In the terminology of jihad, the priority was defeating the ‘near
enemy’
– that is, impure Muslim society.  The ‘distant enemy’ – the West –
could
wait until Islam had reformed itself.  To Zawahiri and his colleagues  that
meant, at a minimum, imposing Islamic law in Egypt.
“Zawahiri also sought to restore the  caliphate, the rule of Islamic clerics,
which had formally ended in 1924  following the dissolution of the Ottoman
Empire  but which had not exercised real power since the thirteenth century.
Once  the caliphate was established, Zawahiri believed, Egypt would  become a
rallying point for the rest of the Islamic world, leading it in a jihad
against
the West.  ‘Then history would make a new turn, God willing,’  Zawahiri
later wrote, ‘in the opposite direction against the empire of the  United
States
and the world’s Jewish government.’”
The Schmoos slogan, the more  Islamists we kill, the more we create is of
course nonsense.  There is  nothing like that in Islamic tradition.  If we kill
the Militant Islamic  enemy and in the process defeat him, then Allah has
somehow allowed this.   It is inconceivable to them that Allah would favor
infidels, so there must be  some other reason.  A variety of other reasons have
been
produced but the  one we are most concerned about is the reasoning of Islamic
Fundamentalism.  Islamic Fundamentalists argue that the less than orthodox
Muslims who were defeated deserved to be defeated.  The way to achieve  victory
is to return to pure religion.  What we see now in  Iraq are many who fancy
they adhere  to Pure Religion fighting against us and our protégées in the
new
Iraqi  state.  Yeah, it’s expensive but we need to tread carefully now.  If
when we leave, the Islamic Fundamentalists can declare victory, that is if we
don’t leave the present Iraqi government in a very strong position, then we
shall be buying trouble for ourselves.  As Barnett suggests, we shall  probably
have to go back again.  We won’t save money by leaving  prematurely.
Lawrence