[lit-ideas] Re: The Strident Voice of Defeat

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:43:52 +0000

Tis a sad thing and who can account for it; there's so many that do it?  You
can curse our nation and no one cares.  curse our leaders and people cheer for
you.  Criticize our morals and everyone agrees. Our business men are beneath
contempt. In fact no one pays much attention if you do any of these things, but
say one little criticizing word about Saddam Hussein and . . . well you can see
what happened to me.  First it was Julie getting after me, and then Ursula, and
then Mike, . . . I can't recall if Andreas got after me or not but if he didn't
he must have been taking a nap, and I don't know what's happened to Irene.  Is
she okay, perhaps we should call Missing Persons or the Gone Without a Trace
show.  She always gets after me when I'm critical of Saddam and now there's
this new guy who decided it's high time he piled on.

Well, whenever a whole bunch of people do the same thing, and that same thing
is bizarre, as in this case . . . at least the defending of a brutal vicious
murderous dictator used to be considered bizarre, there is a rising on the Left
. . . which is no longer Liberal if Paul Berman is to be believed because, for
as he says, no self-respecting Liberal would defend a brutal vicious murderous
dictator like Saddam Hussein.

John McCreery said recently that each of us has a persona.  Actually, I've got
several, one of which amateur psychologist.  The Left for years and years hated
the U.S. and loved the USSR but then the USSR got up and left (so to speak),
and just as in the case of a dearly beloved father who leaves the family, there
are repercussions.  The kids can't actually hate the father because they miss
him.  They wish he was back, and they don't want to do anything to tarnish his
memory because who knows he might come back -- there are all his illegitimate
kids growing up in places like Venezuela.  Maybe he's over there too.  But
there is a good deal of residual hatred; so where's it going to go.  It's got
to go someplace; so let's hate the USA!  Or at least lets love those who hate
the USA.  Now we Leftists could look far and wide and not find anyone who hated
the US quite as much as Saddam Hussein.  He shot at US planes almost weekly.
I've got a huge pile of nickels on the floor of my study to prove that.  He put
out a hit on George Bush Sr.  In fact he's got quite a list of things any
self-respecting nation would have gone to war against him for, but of course
those of us who tend to say, "good riddance," when we mention Saddam are likely
to get our tongues stepped on before we can get them back in our mouths --
that's if we spend much time hanging around Leftists.

Tis a sad thing . . . or perhaps only a strange thing . . . maybe it's just one
of those things that you get used to.  Don't you be cursing my mom, my dog or
making fun of my motorcycle or Saddam Hussein -- that sort of thing.

But I liked your little fable; which just goes to show that lambs have no
business getting uppity with wolves, even innocent lambs like Saddam Hussein
who as any self-respecting Leftist will tell you never muddied any water any
where any how.

Lawrence