[lit-ideas] Re: The Rise & Fall of Somalia's Islamic Courts: An Online History (The Fourth Rail)

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 22:02:26 -0600

EY:
Maybe if you read a little about the "culture and humanity"
of US Special Forces ... These blokes are apparently unhindered by the party-line
preconceptions of what a cultured person is ... which seems
to be either a dithering weakling in tweeds sipping tea in
some fashionably appointed study while looking at art, or a
snaggle-toothed old hippie yawping about nonviolence and
altruism to teens while hogging the bong.

That's the party-line perception?  Which party?  Cartoonists?

As I said in a previous post, my perception of Special Forces people is prejudiced by my aversion to people who seek out jobs in which killing people is job description #1. As I said then, perhaps personal knowledge of such people would change my mind, but I doubt it. I remember guys that I knew only too well back in 1967 telling me with the fervor of fevered brains how much they wanted to go to Vietnam and blow those fucking Commies to kingdom come. Pre-pubescent fantasies linger long in the psyche of most males. Most of us men are mostly kiss-ass go-alongs -- and thank God for that, society depends on it -- but in our own minds we're kick-ass alpha into our thirties. That's cool, as long as the fantasies remain fantasy. Long live Walter Mitty, damn the Special Forces.

Mike Geary
Memphis