[lit-ideas] Re: Priorities ??

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:35:52 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Adding to the mix of less disposable money for consumer spending (which dri=
ves the economy) is that Medicare is artificially higher than it has to be =
because the drug companies (yes, those drug companies again) grossly inflat=
e the prices they charge Medicare.  It's a big part of why health costs are=
 rising so fast.  The drug companies are now targeting Medicaid because sta=
tes have to, by law, balance their budgets and have heretofore put pressure=
 on pharma to lower prices.  Pharma is fighting back, so it's wait and see =
what happens.  Bush's claim that he doesn't want Americans buying from Cana=
da is because drugs are cheaper there and it costs pharma profits.  Pharma'=
s also targeting the Canadian system now.  Drug companies' stocks are falli=
ng precisely because they have no new products to offer and recycling the o=
ld drugs is wearing thin.  Pharma's become a drain on the economy.  Also, t=
he ultra rich don't pay taxes, so that's another huge drain there, a huge c=
hunk of income lost.  Basically, nobody who counts cares what's going on, i=
ncluding Bush, perhaps especially Bush with his tax cuts, and all these new=
 red states have blinders on.  Nobody cares, and I'm wasting my time.  Gott=
a go.

Andy Amago