[lit-ideas] Re: Priorities

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 21:58:32 -0500

Lawrence "If you watch only the Leftist Media
you won?t know this. If you talked to Marines coming back from Iraq you
might get a hint. They are amazed and appalled at what they see on TV:
Media selection distorts what?s actually happening."

I was reading a week or two ago about the Iraqi correspondent for the
Detroit Free Press.  She has been there all along and has a completely
different story.  The Wall Street Journalist there was sending back such
terrible stories about life there that they recalled her.  Don't want to
upset the upper class, I guess.  Am I reading lies when I read that only 2%
of Iraqis want the Americans to stay, regardless of the consequences?
Does anyone know else know about this?

By the way, I don't consider the BBC, CBC and many other publications to be
left wing.  If one really wants to know what is going on there, any
American source is inadequate, to be charitable.

When
> an EU rep challenged Clinton on the unfairness of American unemployment
> benefits, Clinton said that being out of work is unfair also.  We are
doing
> better than the EU in regard to employment.  5% is a very good number.
>

> The war?  We?ve removed Saddam Hussein and his army at the expense of a
> casualty rate lower than in any major war in history.  We are on schedule
> for elections.  The Shiites (60% of Iraq) are happy with the progress as
are
> the Kurds (20% of Iraq).  A small percentage of the Sunnis (20% of Iraq),
> the Baathists, who have no hope in a Democratic Iraq, continue in an
> insurgency but Iraqi troops are being trained to handle them.  There is no
> reason to think that elections won?t be held.  There is no reason to think
> that the Islamists will hammer Iraq any harder after the elections than
they
> hammer any other Middle Eastern nation.  If you watch only the Leftist
Media
> you won?t know this.  If you talked to Marines coming back from Iraq you
> might get a hint.  They are amazed and appalled at what they see on TV:
> Media selection distorts what?s actually happening.
>

> The environment?  I suppose.
>

> Cabinet positions?  Read John Lewis Gaddis article in the current issue of
> Foreign Affairs.  A year or so ago he described Bush as being the third
> president to have created a Grand Strategy.  He is critical of some of the
> things Bush did in the last four years but unlike the Leftists he doesn?t
> hate Bush.  He makes a number of recommendations for what he thinks Bush
> should do in the next four years.  Bush?s actions were on target.  His
> explanations and diplomatic efforts were poor.  I look for Rice to improve
> the US posture diplomatically.  Timothy Ash is a British Leftist who
> believes that the US and the EU need to learn to work together.  Tony
Blair
> has attempted to create a Bridge between Europe and the US.  Gaulist and
> Atlanticist Europeans have the same conflicts as Red and Blue States,
> Liberals and Conservatives.  Nothing is one way or the other unless you
> would rather fight than reach agreement.
>

> If you paint a worst case scenario, the Gaulist creation of the EU as the
> superpower antithesis to the US; then you end up laughing.  There aren?t
any
> differences worth fighting over and the EU isn?t willing to give up enough
> of its entitlements  to build a military comparable to that of the US.
> Also, the EU couldn?t come together on an issue like opposing the US.
Also,
> many in the EU resent the French trying to lead the EU in that direction.
>

> The inauguration?  Who cares whether demonstrators turn their back on
Bush?
> The president of the US is the most powerful person in the world whoever
he
> is.  That a group of Leftists would turn their back on Bush is something
> that is truly irrelevant.  You have things backwards.
>

> Ash?s book was very interesting.  Unlike our home-grown Leftists, some
> European Leftists are trying to take some positive steps to bring the EU
and
> the US closer together.  They recognize that it is naïve to think that the
> EU and the US can only work together when the US has a Democrat in the
Oval