From: Andreas Ramos <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Dec 31, 2004 8:59 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Priorities

> To paraphrase and reapply Nixon's famous exit line, you're going to have
> Bush to kick around for four more years!

Actually, no.

Have you noticed nobody seems to care anymore about the White House? Nobody=
 discusses the=20
issues anymore: the environment, unemployment, the deficit, the wars, the l=
ack of foreign=20
policy, etc. Nobody cares, because we know it's a waste of time.

Bush is putting lightweights into the cabinet: Rice, Gonzales, and others. =
Whatever. The=20
cabinet positions have become so irrelevant that it doesn't matter if a nob=
ody is in that=20
position. The cabinet is irrelevant because Bush insists on loyalty.

As for foreign relations, the Bush White House has essentially abandoned th=
e global=20
leadership role of the USA. Nobody took it away; the Bushies simply walked =
away from it.=20
China and the ASEAN countries are busy at setting up a European Union struc=
ture for Asia;=20
the USA has no part whatsoever in this. One can quite seriously say that th=
e USA has no=20
foreign policy whatsoever now. Even Denmark has a foreign policy. But not t=
he USA. Bush's=20
first reaction to the tsunami? He didn't care, and he didn't see why he sho=
uld care.

So, will we kick Bush around for four more years? Like, who cares? He's irr=
elevant. He made=20
himself irrelevant.

Will Hillary be president afterwards? Of what? In the next few years, the B=
ushies will have=20
demolished so much that the next president, if we even have a next presiden=
t, will preside=20
over very little.

Let's see what happens at the inauguration. Last time, the Bushies sent out=
 tens of=20
thousands of invitations, and perhaps a quarter of the seats were embarrass=
ingly empty.=20
Those had to be covered up, to prevent TV cameras from showing empty stands=
. Meanwhile there=20
were massive demonstrations and his limosine was pelted with eggs. Bush was=
 unable to walk=20
down Pennsylvania Avenue.

This time, the demonstrators plan to line the path and turn their backs on =
Bush.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com=20