[lit-ideas] Re: Nigerian gun control as an example for us

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 17:17:57 -0700

Tis mind boggling, isn't it Mike.  I wonder how people killed each other
before they had guns . . .  You don't really suppose they did kill each
other back then, do you?

As to the "peace" I was attributing to you, I used that word to describe the
following statement by you:
"Wrong again.  Can't you gun nuts get anything right?  The police would not
be allowed to carry guns (or even own them) in my world.  There would
probably have to be a SWAT unit, but it would be very select and very, very
well trained.  But they would doubtless be as lonely as the Maytag
repairman.  There's no reason for anyone to have a gun if no one else has a
gun.  So you can relax, Lawrence, policemen will be your friends."

Surely if SWAT teams are as infrequently used as Maytag repairmen and
unarmed policemen are our friends, it isn't too much of a reach to describe
the ambient society as a peaceful one.  No more drug busts, no more irate
drunken drivers shooting policemen along lonely roads, no more undercover
DEA operations, no more smuggling, no more terrorism . . . I could anecdote
on and on based upon your fantasy.

Lawrence