[lit-ideas] Re: Nigerian gun control as an example for us

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 18:17:57 -0500

LH:
Not at all.  Mike said that if you created draconian gun laws peace would
inevitably follow.

Assuming that the laws are not full of loopholes (which current gun control laws are), and that they are uniform across the country (which our gun control laws definitely are not) and that they are vigorously enforced, which is a laugh at this time. Laws, of course, really only exist in the enforcement.

But even with all that, I never mentioned peace. Less likelihood of being blown away by a road rage wacko, yes. Less likely to kill your own kid who's sneaking into the house at 3:00 am, yes. Less likelihood of blowing away a Halloween trick-or-treater, yes. Less likely that one of your kids will find your gun and accidentally kill a sibling or friend, yes. Less likelihood of you shooting your wife or she you, yes. Less likelihood your wife will set her purse down on a counter in a store and her pistol goes off and kills a by-stander, yes. And on and on and on and on. Oh, the anecdotes I could anecdote you with.

Mike Geary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>