[lit-ideas] Re: Nigerian gun control as an example for us

  • From: "JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 09:19:33 -0500

<<Perhaps the fledgling teen-aged robbers aren't going to be terribly
well-armed, but they aren't going to be interested with complying with
Nigerian gun control laws.  Of course, if they happen upon an unarmed
home-owner, they won't need guns.  Other weapons will suffice.  >>

This thread started out because of the VA killings.

If Cho had had only "other weapons" (spear, knife, what have you), would he
have been able to be as efficient in his killing?  Been able to mow down 31
people?

The thing about guns, to me, is not that people will be violent and use
whatever tool of violence that is available to them, but that guns are very
effective killing machines.  Put AK47s in the hands of the Nigerians and
tell me that wouldn't make a bit of difference in that volatile region.
What if every red-blooded American citizen were allowed to purchase
shoulder-held missiles?  I guess you'd allow that, since it might be the
only way to defend one's self against machine guns.  What if every
red-blooded American citizen were allowed to purchase a small nuke?  I guess
you'd allow that, since it might be the only way to defend one's self
against missiles.

Yes, guns kill people, and people kill people.  The thing about guns is it
makes the people who kill people much more efficient at it.

Julie Krueger