[lit-ideas] Re: Mark Steyn on Gun Control

  • From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:43:40 -0400

On 4/23/07, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 We do disagree here, Paul.  I think a group of robbers who broke into the
property of an 84 year old woman who has to use a walker to get around on,
and then decides to approach her; which they apparently had the wisdom not
to do, ought to be shot.  The law allows for that.  If they were to run
away, she wouldn't legally be allowed to shoot them.  But if they come after
her, then she is permitted to shoot them -- and ought to.

And... that's what wrong. Firstly, picking up on what Phil said about what I
said... I once found some teenagers rooting around in my backyard. I went
out there, completely unarmed and shouted "hey, what do you think you're
doing?" They ran. In the morning I found they had merely rooted through
tools and caused me perhaps 30 minutes of wasted day putting my stuff away.
See the thing is... I KNEW they wouldn't have guns so I didn't need one.
That's not the case in our little old lady from Pasadena. And that's the
real pity. How fucked up is a place that makes people think they NEED a gun
to protect themselves and even more pitifully, their property? from
intruders? Because they KNOW there is a good chance that those intruders are
armed, and as such, pose a mortal threat to their person? Like I've said,
there's a huge problem because there are soo many guns. there are sooo many
people willing to use them and there are sooo many other people giving them
a "reason" to use em.

paul