[lit-ideas] Re: Mark Steyn on Gun Control

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 07:55:12 -0300

Lawrence Helm wrote:

"What is the same is a person with a gun in the right opposing criminals.
It makes no difference whether he is an American Marine in Korea or an
American Woman in Kentucky.  Neither, if he has a brain in his or her head
will let criminals come after him or her."

First, enemy soldiers aren't criminals.  Second, very few criminals are
likely to kill.  The claim that the mere approach of a criminal is evidence
of a threat to life is illogical at best, paranoid at worst.  That the
person felt some drunk good ol' boys, who wanted to take a decrepit tractor
for a joy ride, were actually out to kill her, strikes me as being highly
paranoid.  And we both agree that mentally ill people should not have guns.
Again, what a person feels is not justification for what they do.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns