[lit-ideas] Re: Mark Steyn on Gun Control

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:36:38 -0500

I love it when conservatives talk about reality.  They're soooooooo tough
minded.  Real he-men -- of the solitary, nasty, brutish and short variety.  I
left "poor" out of Hobbes' quote because most conservatives aren't poor.  Yes,
there are plenty of poor, conservative whites in the South who cling to the
Republican Party as the great white hope that will restore racial supremacy as
the rule of the day.  But for the most part, conservatives are successful men
who like to think of themselves as self-made men, rugged individualists who
don't hesitate to call a spade a spade and are realists enough to sometimes
it's necessary to bury all fellow-feeling when there's profit involved.

As for Barak Obama, I agree with everything he said.  In our horror over the
Virginia Tech killings, let's not lose sight of the quiet violence that
corrodes the fabric of our society day in and day out.  The cheap "humor" of
Imus, a comment that even if he is not himself a racist, certainly winks
dismissively at the pervasive racism of our country and personally caused pain
to innocent people he very publically denigrated.  The quiet violence of
corporate greed that spits on the communities of people who have given their
time and energy to build businesses only to be told: "So long, suckers."  The
quiet violence of city governments that tax citizens to build football stadiums
for millionaire teams and leaves the mentally ill to shift for themselves on
the streets, that ignores the plight of the homeless.  The quiet violence of a
society that sees the other as usable, as object, as enemy.  That's the reality
that Obama was talking about.  The reality that conservatives can't seem to be
able to get through their thick heads is that everything is inextricably
interconnected.  Or to put it into my favorite quips:  "Show me a man who
changed his own diaper and I'll show you a self-made man." (Michael Eric Dyson)
 "It takes a village to raise a child." (Hilary Clinton)  "I am you and you are
me and we are all together." (Beatles)  :  )   --  now THAT'S reality.  Guns
deny reality, they are the disastrous fantasy of disastrous rugged
individualism.