[lit-ideas] Re: Guess where the USA ranks in terms of health care

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:08:37 +0900

No question but what a majority of Americans want universal health care. The
immediate stimulus for my remark was a young couple I know, anthropologists
and U.S. citizens who live and work in Denmark. The husband told me that on
recent trips back to the USA, they were struck by how much like a
third-world country it was, with a visible and growing disparity between the
well-off and the working or non-working poor. They were talking, I believe,
about Missouri.
John

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John wrote
>
>  Didn't intend to be condescending. Should, however, have been clearer.
>> Brazil is a case like China or India, where the rich and middle class are
>> minorities piled on top of an impoverished population of very poor people.
>> <Predictably the poor will overwhelm any healthcare system to which they
>> have access, and the middle and upper classes will resist funding
>> improvements.> There are those who argue that the USA is moving in a similar
>> direction; but we are not quite there yet, making comparisons with
>> Scandinavia, other parts of Europe or Japan more to the point.
>>

> The majority of Americans believe that the US should have some form of
> guaranteed universal care; they would also be willing to pay more in taxes
> to fund it.
>
> So, this is not predictable at all.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/02/washington/02poll.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
>
> Other polls show much the same thing. As a Democrat Abroad, John, you must
> know what the party's position on this is!
>
> To your health!
>
> Robert Paul
> Reed College

John McCreery