[lit-ideas] Re: Guess where the USA ranks in terms of health care

  • From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:42:52 -0400

> Chiming in with the Canadian experience (my Canadian experience), yes, there
> are waits in emerg (sometimes four hours or more if you're not a 'real'
> emergency).   Possible wait times are posted in the waiting room.   You come
> in, make your best plea to the triage nurse and sit down.   But I can't tell
> you how much more secure I feel knowing that whatever procedure is
> necessary, there will be no charge.   My mother has had two brain surgeries
> here in Canada.   No charge.   No charge for x-rays.   No charge for
> doctor-ordered physio.   You have a baby....you just walk out the door with
> your baby.   You have hip replacement...you just walk out the door with your
> new hip.   Yes, of course, we pay higher taxes, but I don't really care.  I
> know I'm not going to lose my house and savings if I get really sick or
> senile.   That means a lot...

I fully concur with Ursula. It really is a safety net. We had a baby last year.

We got:

Preliminary Doctor's visit -- to diagnose possible pregnancy
Pregnancy test (at a lab)
Follow-up -- "yes, you are 6 weeks pregnant, here's a gyno's number)
Preliminary Gynocologist Visit -- 8 regular followups (+ 1 emergency)
2 Emergency room visits -- once, she fell down stairs, second, she
slipped on floor
2 ultrasounds
Delivery -- via C-section, all meds, etc.
5 days in hospital - I stayed in her room too, with the baby.
All diapers/food etc.

total cost to us for entire pregnancy: 12 dollars for parking at hospital

I can candidly say that if I had to pay for all of it, I would NEVER
have had a child. Not in a million years.

paul