[lit-ideas] Ground Zero Mosque's Saudi Patron

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 00:59:06 -0700

One of the open questions about Rauf and the Ground Zero Mosque has to do
with where he is getting the financing.  While Rauf wouldn't tell us, in
this modern age of information we could be assured that someone would dig it
out, and someone has:
http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/545180/201008261900/Mosques
-Saudi-Patron.aspx  This article appears in the Investors Business Daily.

The Saudi individual identified as a Mosque backer has strong ties to the
Muslim Brotherhood.  What is the relationship of The Muslim Brothers to
Islamism?  Sayyid Qutb, the chief ideologue of Islamism was a Muslim
Brother.  Arabic Islamism originated in the Muslim Brotherhood, and its
influence spread throughout the Muslim world and beyond.  Now its influence
is being increased in New York.  I can't say it will be a new thing in New
York because the Al Farooq mosque in Brooklyn has been a hot-bed of Islamist
training.

The Muslim Brothers are not a "Moderate" Islamic organization.  And the
Wahhabi Saudis pushing their agenda aren't Moderate either.

Perhaps some Leftist or Liberal (I have the same problem distinguishing
between them that I do distinguishing between Moderate and Radical Muslims)
can read this same article and tell me how harmless it sounds -- perhaps it
is nothing more than the First Amendment at work.  Or maybe the Investors
Business Daily is a seething cauldron of Right-Wing propaganda.  It looked
like just another business journal to me, but I'll leave it to the Left to
sniff out enemies of the Left-Wing-Moderate-Radical-Islam -- just as some of
the rest of us are good at sniffing out enemies of Liberal Democracy.

Lawrence