[lit-ideas] Re: Don't Stand So Close to Me

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:03:37 -0800 (PST)

Actually it's an old song by Police, Mike, but there
is more. We are talking college and the student is not
quite so young. Also, we are talking Beijing, China,
and the student turns out not to be as naive and
inexperienced as the teacher had believed. O.K.

From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:53:36 -0600
Thanks for that rendition, Omar.  I assume it's you
composition.  I can relate.
 When I was 25, I was teaching English in a very small
town in the boot heel of
Missouri.  I had this amazing 9th grade student, smart
as a whip, precocious,
verbally magical, lovely to look at and so very much
alive at 15.  She was in
love with me.  She had never encountered such a
bizarre teacher.  I could tell
she loved me just by the way she would look and listen
to me as I taught.  Wow,
it's fun to be loved.   And of course I was attracted
to her for her electric
personality and because she thought I was better even
than Bob Dylan.

Never miss an email again!