[lit-ideas] Re: Don't Stand So Close to Me

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:53:36 -0600

Thanks for that rendition, Omar.  I assume it's you composition.  I can relate.
 When I was 25, I was teaching English in a very small town in the boot heel of
Missouri.  I had this amazing 9th grade student, smart as a whip, precocious,
verbally magical, lovely to look at and so very much alive at 15.  She was in
love with me.  She had never encountered such a bizarre teacher.  I could tell
she loved me just by the way she would look and listen to me as I taught.  Wow,
it's fun to be loved.   And of course I was attracted to her for her electric
personality and because she thought I was better even than Bob Dylan.  As fate
would have it, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap had the hit of their life at the
same time: Young Girl:

Young girl, get out of my mind
My love for you is way out of line
Better run, girl,
You're much too young, girl
With all the charms of a woman
You've kept the secret of your youth
You led me to believe
You're old enough
To give me Love
And now it hurts to know the truth, Oh,
Beneath your perfume and make-up
You're just a baby in disguise
And though you know
That it is wrong to be
Alone with me
That come on look is in your eyes, Oh,
So hurry home to your mama
I'm sure she wonders where you are
Get out of here
Before I have the time
To change my mind
'Cause I'm afraid we'll go too far, Oh,
Young girl.

***

Almost every morning that song would play on the radio as I drove to school.
And like Auden's dense commuters coming out of the conservative dark into the
ethical life I would repeat the vow: "I will be true to the wife.  I'll
concentrate more on my work."  :  )   Yes, that song, and quite possibly only
that song, kept me out of a hell of a lot of trouble.  And thank God, Andy
would be so on my case now had I "fallen in love".   And now she's an old woman
and I'm and old man.  We could do the boogie-woogie and no one would lift a
brow.  Funny how time changes everything.

Mike Geary
Memphis