[lit-ideas] Re: Bush taking apart SS

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 22:59:02 EDT

In a message dated 5/9/2005 9:24:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
robert.paul@xxxxxxxx writes:
What's  meant by 'how awful the Social Security account is'? Are you
saying that  Social Security is somehow responsible for the tremendous
national debt  that Bush has incurred on our behalf?

Hi,
Sorry, I was not clear on this.

No, what I meant was that if we do not care how large our deficit is, then
why in the world should we worry about how much social security is going to
cost  us.

It just seems rather odd to me.  The deficit is (to my rather  untrained but
pragmatic eyes) rather large.  However, it seems like what we  are spending
spending spending on (primarily, I grant you, defense--though not  original
research...which seem peculiar but that is a different tangential  aside) does
not
seem to be a problem.

If that is not a problem, then why is social security a problem?

If we can tell  our wealthy that they don't need to worry about the  deficit
and tighten their belts (which we just did by not rolling back the tax  breaks
they got), then why can we not tell our middle/and other classes that  they
do not need to worry and let them continue to have the social security  program?

Just seems a bit inconsistent.

NOT that I am saying that our current administration is inconsistent or
trying to imply such.

Know what I am saying, now?

<wry look>

Back from the trail,