[lit-ideas] Re: Bush taking apart SS

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 21:08:06 EDT

In a message dated 5/9/2005 7:02:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Or that  you envision a better alternative
to SS, and don't intend to support a  policy that might cause hundreds of
thousands of old people to die of  penury and leave their rotting corpses
fester in the  streets.

Dear Eric,
Well, as one who has (almost) decided on a PhD program in public health, I
am kind of hoping this will happen.  (remember, all, my whole indecisioin  on a
PhD of which I have been agonizing over for these few years...)

I mean, just think.  Granted, there are those who have been wishing we  could
be like the stereotype of India (where they have beggars and old people
dying in the street, arms stretched out in a wretched dramatic sort of way) but

generally most of those of us in the good 'ol USA would prefer to see our old
waste away in for-profit nursing homes which scoop up the federal money in
their  shareholders/upper management pockets and pay those who care for the
aged
basically just enough to keep them from stretching out their arms in a
dramatic  sort of way.

Are you really willing, now that I have FINALLY come to some sort of
emotional calm after the angst, to have people like what Brian are proporting
to  do
STOP???

In the meeting I had last week, we talked about how 'interesting' it will  be
to see what will happen next in regards to some of the public policy
decisions being made.

What I wonder, really, is why we even care about how awful the social
security account is when we don't really care, one bit, how awful the deficit
is.
I mean--really.  Debt is debt.  Does it really matter if we  just add on a
little bit more to what our deficit is?

But, that is another issue, right?

Don't spoil my final learning project!!!!   Do you realize that  would me I'd
be back to thinking about things like neurology or mythology or  anthropology
or education or philosophy other really ridiculously  impractical sorts of
fields!!! (no matter how much fun and interesting they  might be--I do have a
pragmatic streak in me after all!!!)

See you on the trail (for all in BSA <g> and beyond!)
Marlena in Missouri
(really on her way to a scout meeting!)