[lit-ideas] Re: Big Pharma's competition

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 02:29:40 EDT

In a message dated 5/6/2005 11:23:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Wow,  there's no end to their stupidity.  Just a question, when you talk  to
these people, do they drool?

Hi,
No.  And, they are not stupid, either.  Most of them are very  very smart.

Very smart.

But, like so many of us, they look at only one side of an issue.  They
generally (like many people on either side of an issue) are not able to
articulate
the issue well enough to be able to share its strengths and  weaknesses/pros
and cons of an outcome.

For example, someone who does not like Big Pharma, ought (in my opinion) to
be able to very very well articulate the pros of Big Pharma as well as its
cons.  The people who have absolutely no problem with Big Pharma and who  can
see only its pros ought to be able to well articulate the cons, too.   But,
most
people cannot do that.  Many of them simply choose not to do so  but many of
them have no idea as to how to do that--and many of them think that  if they
even come close to doing that -- well, it will mean that, in some way,  they
are condoning the other side.

Even wondering if a person drools smacks (to me) of dis-respect and makes  me
wonder if you been aware of the 'good' in these folks.   There is
much--especially if you value taking care of kids (one's one, but also--many of
 them
are very involved in volunteer activities which help the elderly, help the
disabled [esp kids going to camps], help with school/PTA activities [and do not

sell that sort of activity short--it is in dire need--for much of what happens
that is of the 'added value' happens because of a PTA which has active
parents  in it...]   The fellow from the NYTImes editorial board (I think that
was
where he is from) who wrote one of the few books tracking the trends and
beliefs of the 'regular person' as he traveled the area, is able to articulate
pretty well that these are people who, in many respects, care very deeply for
People...

I may not agree with their points of view--but I do in some arenas of  life.
Still, even for the beliefs of which I do not agree, it is very  very hard no
matter where I would be to not assimiliate those points of  view.  Perhaps
that is one reason why I look at every angle for all aspects  as much as I can.

 (my child is having a hard time right now--I think  we have hit a new phase
of development, though, in which he sees too many people  who he respects and
honors in certain arenas of life who hold very different  political/religious
views than what I do.  (fortunately, he does know the  few that are scattered
in our world--but frankly, many of them do NOT live in  this area and those
that I know with my belief system who live elsewhere do the  disparaging of
those who hold different viewpoints even more caustically than  those who live
here and who make you wonder if they 'drool'.  They do  not have much tolerance
for the moderately conservative--those are lumped  into the same category as
the rest of them.   THEY do not disparage  you.  I cannot let my child meet
those of that 'do they drool'  persuasion because, for me, respect is extremely
important and trumps  political/religious viewpoints.)    I do understand the
frustration level--and have my own theories as to why there is such a
disrespect  for Others--so it helps me not get frustrated with what are almost
as  mean
comments as some that side has been known to  make...<sigh>

Wishing for tolerance for all,
Marlena in Missouri