[lit-ideas] Re: Who in 2008?

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 02:49:00 EDT

In a message dated 5/7/2005 1:12:07 AM Central Daylight Time,
writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Imagine  Red-staters voting for Condoleezza Rice? She lies with all the
competence  of her boss. Liars like Rice Missourians will vote  for?

Hi,
No.  Rice would not win.  She's not liked here.  She is  blamed for alot of
Bush's failures and people think that she is now trying to  'make it up'...but
it's too little, too late.  Mostly, though, it is her  personality.  That is,
actually, part of Hilary's problem, too.  And,  even though I think she has
changed things and (perhaps) come a bit more 'into  her own', she will not win.

It's not because she is female  for they would have liked Christine Todd
Whitman, actually. (Too bad she  was marginalized by Bush and Co.)

I think it is that Hilary is lumped too much into the same mix as her
husband...and I do not think people really still understand how he symbolizes
so
much that is 'bad' ... even though, in many respects, that is totally
unfair--but people are people, and we are peculiar if we do not 'go deep'.

It's all about image, sometimes, though.

I have heard that alot of people of both parties like her in NY.  But,  that
information is only found (here) if you dig for it.  (even amongst and  within
the 'liberal papers' ... of which there are some)

Even my friends who are gay hope she won't run--for the same reason I worry
about--that she won't win in the same states which John Kerry *might* have won
 had his campaign been run by people a bit more 'in touch' with the people in
 Missouri.   And, it's not really that *we* don't like her, it is that  we
would prefer not to have the people who were on the fence (and who were fell
into the Bush camp because of some of the ways John Kerry's campaign did not
address their concerns...)   A number of people (esp on the edge) have  now
said
that if they had known then what they know now, they would not have  voted
for Bush.  (I know, I know--the information was there had they but  either read
it or paid attention...)   However, they will have to have  a candidate that
they can 'handle'...if not embrace.

Hillary may be a 'voice of reason' but without the charismatic piece,  I just
don't see that part within her.  And, if I do not see it <g>  even fewer in
Missouri will.  She  (or, at least, a very very very  well run campaign which
will target the pieces of people which need to connect  with a charisma in a
leader--it *could* be done)

Still, if she ran, who would her running mate be, do you think?

Best,
Marlena in Missouri