[lit-ideas] Re: Big Pharma's competition

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 01:49:52 -0400

the not-for-profit drug company even exists at  all.

You should take a look at what Brazil has done. As I mentioned in an
earlier post, they nationalized all the AIDS drugs and made generic
copies which they distributed to all AIDS patients for free. They have
have a public health system--remember those from our childhood (and
earlier)?

According to the CDC, if an anthrax attack occurs in..say...Madison
Square Garden, their plan is--get this!--everyone has to go to their PCP
next day to get a prescription of CIPRO. Imagine a quarter-million
people going to their doctors for CIPRO within a one-to-three day time
period. Bad news is that it would cause widespread chaos. Good news is
that it would force an end to our current health-care system and force
the creation of a public health system.

Perhaps it would even bring an end to the GOP ideology of eviscerating
the federal government. One can only hope...that it doesn't take a
national emergency to make us realize how stupidly retrograde  and
pernicious this GOP ideology has been for America.

Eric