[lit-ideas] Big Pharma's competition

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 11:06:05 EDT

HI,
In the world where, I do think, the majority of people are preoccupied with
the daily ins-and-outs of life do try to do what they can to assist the world
and its people...even in little ways.  And, while I am a bit confused  at the
people I know who voted for our current administration and all it has  said
it would do and who are freaking out at the budget cuts in the programs for
which they are involved and which are helping Others--(I got emails from some
telling me to write/call my senator, etc.--and who are also involved in a
conference and Laura Bush will be the keynote speaker which [to me] smacks of
implicit approval for the cuts and direction of our country...the disconnect is

strange. But, I was at a dinner last weekend and the topic of social security
came up--and Pres Bush was exonerated from any problems or concerns.)

So, to amuse myself, I try to find the little pieces of 'good' which are  Out
There.  There is the Jungian thought of holding the tension of the
opposites: don't join either the victimizer or the victim but to look for the
third
solution.

I think the woman who founded what (I think) is the first not-for-profit
pharmeucetical drug company found that 'third solution'.  I had heard about  it
some time ago (cannot find that information which talked in great detail of
the steps taken for that dream to come true), andt a general history can be
found on their website.

Funding for research, etc. is being done by those who care.  Not just  for
profit, but for people.  That there are the bigger foundations and
health-oriented souls out there to assist in making this dream come true a bit
faster is
also nice to know.

Trying to shine a little bit of Light in the bleakness of the Newsworthy
Articles,
Marlena in Missouri

Gates Foundation Awards $10 Million For 'Black Fever' Drug
The  Seattle-based Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
(  http://gatesfoundation.org/ ) has announced a $10 million grant to the
Institute  for OneWorld
Health ( http://oneworldhealth.org/ ) in San Francisco to  support the
advancement of
paromomycin, OneWorld's drug for visceral  leishmaniasis (VL),  through the
approval and
post-approval process.

VL, also known as "black fever," is a fatal disease transmitted by sand
flies that attacks
the internal organs. An estimated 1.5 million people  worldwide are currently
infected. OneWorld Health, the first nonprofit  pharmaceutical company in the
United States, will seek
regulatory approval  for paromomycin in India this year, followed by a
post-approval study and a  complete clini- cal trial of shorter duration to
optimize
the use of the drug.  The grant will also support the company's work with
partners to manufacture  paromomycin at an affordable cost.

"Currently, VL devastates entire  families for generations," said OneWorld
Health founder and
CEO Victoria  Hale. "In addition to the death it brings, it also forces
families to  exhaust their
assets to pay for treatment and per- petuates cycles of  poverty. Given the
high safety level
and initial cure rates comparable to  current hospital- based therapies, we
believe paromomycin will help the Indian  government to safely and affordably
control VL."

"Institute for Oneworld  Health Receives Multimillion Dollar Grant to Lay
Foundation for
Next Steps in  Control of Deadly Infectious Disease." Institute for OneWorld
Health  Press
Release  4/14/05.
http://fconline.fdncenter.org/pnd/1565/iowh

http://fconline.fdncenter.org/pnd/1566/story