[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you glad you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:37:37 -0400

Surely one definition of rational has merely to do with pursuing your goals in a way that will actually maximize success. Sadly, f**king humanity is rational if your goal is maximizing profit. In a dog-eat-dog world, it is rational to strive to be top dog.

"Being of sound mind" is another definition. To the extent that we believe that men do evil only through lack of knowledge of the good, these people are irrational. Blinded, as you say, by their emotions.
Ursula

Andy wrote:

Unless you can show me how corporate greed is
rational. Platonic maybe, as in the above excerpt, but not rational. Unless rational is defined as anything that makes money for shareholders,
whatever the cost to humanity. But I don't think that's the dictionary
definition of rational.