[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you glad you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:56:29 -0400

Simon: Hitler advocated a new reich. To achieve it he had to do two things. Reduce and eradicate the democratic process in Germany, whilst also persuading the German populous that they were under attack.

Ring any bells?
________

Yes, Simon, it sounds like Iran under the new hardliners. It also sounds like every Islamist politician of the last twenty years.

Oh you were thinking of Bush with his --democratically measured -- low standing in the opinion polls?

Cite some public opinion polls of Iranians with regard to their government. Go ahead. News reports come entirely from state-controlled sources. Any polls likewise.

_____
http://www.nopunditintended.com/2006/03/iranian_public_opinion.html

It is completely self-delusional to think that Ahmadinejad speaks for anyone other than Ayatolla Khamenei and the Guardian Council.

First, Ahmadinajad was not elected - he was appointed. Ahmadinajad only received 19% of the first vote - second place - with Rafsanjani receiving a full 2 points more in an election where the top 5 candidates went like this in the polls:

Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani 21%
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad 19%
Mehdi Karroubi 17%
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf 13%
Mostafa Moeen 13%

Now, when the runoffs happened between Rafsanjani and Ahmadinajad, it's a 40/60 split? That's right out of the beetles tune, "I get by with a little help from my friends."