[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you glad you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 08:35:39 -0700

Perhaps I was hasty in assuming the worst.  I have history books as well as
Charles Taylor on my desk in front of me and have noticed how difficult it
is to break loose from the Climate of Opinion that is prevalent in one's
country at the time one lives.  The current Leftist climate of opinion
comprises, in effect, a pro-Islamist or pro-Islamic-Fascist stance.  Instead
of opposing the Islamic-Fascists, they oppose the U.S.  Notice all the
new opportunities to attack the U.S. while the Islamic Fascists remain
unopposed by them.  And they see nothing strange in that.  I find that
remarkable.

I thought it interesting to hypothesize the taking of Leftist Americans,
functioning under their current pro-Fascist anti-American climate of opinion
and transporting them back to America of the 1930s.   With such a climate of
opinion, could they do anything but oppose our going to war against Hitler?
The prevalent climate of opinion of the 30s wasn't quite theirs.  It was one
of leaving the Europeans to stew in their own juice.  While the majority was
opposed to going to war, it wasn't anti-American.

Lawrence