[LRflex] Re: Water Spots? MORE QUESTIONS

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 07:37:15 -0700

Philippe Amard wrote:

>I've tried to follow the thread and read the documentation on the sorry
>"water spots" episode.
>- I come to the conclusion that digital is not the best of the worlds as
>i thought it was - with film, you had to wait until you saws your pixes,
>but dust was not such a problem, was it?
>- I  also deduce that bridge with built-in lenses are better protected -
>but their uses are still limited to "standard" snaps.
>- I now have doubts about the Digital back, which should all the more be
>prone to that kind of problem as you must be very very careful when you
>adapt the back I guess (never seen one by the way)
>- I get to think that nothing's perfect and i should wait a little more
>before turning to digital.
>What do you think?
>Phileica

The problem with fixed lens (bridge or not) digital cameras is that
while they are protected from dust to a reasonable degree, if (when)
dust does get on the sensor, they are impossible to clean.  I know at
least 3 people who have thrown away small digi-cams because of dirty
sensors.

Also, most compact and 'bridge' cameras suffer from more noise and lower
sensitivity to light  (ISO speed) because of their smaller sensors.
(The smaller pixels cannot capture as many photons in any given span of
time because of their smaller surface area and so the signal must be
amplified more, resulting in the additional 'noise'.)  This additional
'noise' puts limits on the upper limit of ISO sensitivity.

You are right, Philippe.  Nothing's perfect.  Digital is superior to
film (particularly at high ISO's) in some ways... and nowhere near as
good as film, in other.  However, it continues to improve.  Which is
'better' is a fruitless argument, for the battle has already been won,
in the marketplace.

-
David Young,
Logan Lake, BC