[LRflex] Re: Using the M6

  • From: "Jeffrey L. T. Gluck" <jgluckphoto66@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 01:53:36 -0500

Walter wrote:
>Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:59:14 +1100
>From: Walter Kramer <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [LRflex] Re: Using the M6
>
>Thanks Jeff,
>
>My post was meant to be slightly humorous. Ted is right of course in
>that the assignment will dictate the requirements. [...]
>
>This is also compounded by wanting to shoot both digital and 35mm. It is
>much simpler if you go with one option. However you offer an interesting
>solution when you say that you pack a D/SLR to shoot long.
>
>Walter

Walter,

I am often conflicted. I simply cannot let go of film, having started
with my first camera way back in 1963. My favorite emulsions right now
are Kodak Ektar (for prints) and Kodachrome 64 (for transparencies--at
least until Dwayne's ceases developing on 31 Dec. 2010!). (An old frozen
brick of Agfa Ultracolor 100 also awaits!) I have CDs burned at the time
of processing so I get the best of both worlds, but admittedly at a
pecuniary cost.

My wife has gotten into digital big time (Canon 40D). I find that I must
shoot both film and digital to keep peace in the family, though my heart
is not really into the new medium, yet. I justify (in my own mind) the
use of the DSLR for the long shots. In the warmer weather--I am in the
Northeast (NYC)--it is easier to drag out the old SL or R7, but in the
winter it is much easier to just pull out a DSLR (my wife's 40D!). If I
am in a "film" frame of mind for long shots, I also have a huge
compliment of my wife's Canon F-1 gear to fondle.

But having used Leicas since the early 70s, it's very hard to get away
from them. If I ever get enough money together, I will buy a digital M9
to use my large stable of M glass. However, in today's economy, I simply
cannot justify the expense.

Jeff Gluck