[LRflex] Re: Using the M6

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 13:45:51 -0500

David Simms wrote:
> I hope I'm not violating the required format with my responses.
> The strength of those old Leicas was, I believe, partly due to the
> retractable (and superb) 50mm Elmar f3.5. Retract the lens and there's no
> protrusion to gather up would-be injuries.
> Dave

David,
   Generally we should quote only enough of the previous note to provide
a context,
maybe a dozen lines, and only the immediate previous note, since we
have the previous notes already.
   The old (meaning Wetzlar) Leicas and Leicaflexes had a lot more metal
in them,
brass and forged aluminum.
    I used to travel with an M-2 and a standard Leicaflex, and the
adapters and
focusing mount to use the 135mm F/4 and 90mm f/2.8 heads on either
camera, and the
guys running the X ray machines at airports always gave me a real hard
look, and
wanted to open my camera bag up and look through everything.  They had
never seen
cameras with that much metal in them, and thought they must be weapons.

--
Charlie Falke                                         _____      /\
"One test result is worth                        |    |/        `o
  one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun   0  N4003M
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein