[LRflex] Re: Using the M6

  • From: "Jeffrey L. T. Gluck" <jgluckphoto66@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 01:22:20 -0500

Walter wrote:

>Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 20:23:40 +1100
>From: Walter Kramer <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [LRflex] Re: Using the M6
>
>Jeff,
>
>I agree but sometimes I think I have too many choices and it gets in the
>way of creativity.
>
>I'll pack an R7 kit and think well I'll just take the M6 with the 50mm
>as well. But ... since I am packing the R glass I should take the Sigma
>SD14 body converted to take R glass to grab some digital captures or ...
>the Pana G1 with adapter to do the same ... hey, and I can also pack the
>M to micro four thirds adapter on the off chance I might want to mount
>the DR on the G1. And what about the Leica D 14-50mm or the D Summilux
>25mm both of which I can also mount on the G1. Hang on if I take the
>Leica D lenses, the Digilux 3 body produces better jpegs straight out of
>the cam. So it goes.
>
>The kit becomes heavy and unwieldly and on review I haven't used half
>the stuff on a day walk. Like smoking, I'm trying to cut back.
>
>Probably no surprise to anyone, when I limit the kit, I get shots I am
>happier with.
>
>Walter

Walter,

I hear you on this! I have often started to pack up for a day's shooting
only to realize I am taking way too much in the way of gear. Less is
often better. Lately, I have been limiting myself to an M, either a
Tri-Elmar 28-35-50 or one or two primes, and maybe a DSLR for long-focus
work if I'm too lazy to load up with the SL or R7.

And you're right, when you drag so much gear along, you wind up using
less than half the equipment.

Jeff