[LRflex] Re: Using the M6

  • From: "walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:50:05 +0800

 David,
The advantage of the M6 over the R6 in some situations is that th= e M6 is
almost silent.  I took up playing with photography only 3= years ago in my
late forties so my experience has been mostly limited to m= odern cameras
that meter, however I'm quite determined to develop manu= al skills and a
better eye for assessing the exposure requirements.

I have never used an M5 but research seems to indicate to me that the needl=
e pointer in the vf coupled with the larger shutter speed control make= s it
a better user combination.  I say this because I use a Konica T3 = SLR which
is based on the idea of shutter priority rather than aperture pri= ority in
its auto metering mode.  Through the VF on the T3 you can see= an aperture
scale on the right with a needle pointer, as you adjust shutte= r speed the
needle will correspondingly point to the aperture speed it will= select to
take the shot.  Of course one can overide this. I find= this a very
intuitiveand 'tactile' way of knowing what is going on.

I believe the M5 is similar as an aperture scale is displayed at the botton=
of the VF.  One end of the scale indicates widest aperture and t= he other
end indicates the greatest stopped down position.  The n= eedle moves
betweenthese extremes depending on the aperture setting. = There is also a
readout which shows you the selected shutter speed.  = When the match
needlesintersect along the aperture scale by either changin= g the shutter
speed or the aperture setting, 'correct' exposure is achieved= .

The images in the linked article show the system better than I can exp= lain
it.

http://photo.net/equipment= /leica/m5/[1]

I am sure though that mastery and proficiency with either of these cameras =
will produce the same results.

Walter

On Wed Jan 6 12:04 , David Simms sent:

Interesting comments,= Walter &Charlie. I've never used an M5 but those
comments are the typ= e of thing I was looking for.
With the R6, the meter tells you whether you're low or high but it doesnt t=
ell you by how much. So, I find that I have to look at the f stop or shutte=
r speed to see which I want to adjust and how much adjustment I have. All o=
f that takes time. It's not a problem for nature or other slow-moving subje=
cts but, for people I prefer to pre-adjust and to fly with that exposure be=
cause then, the only issue is focus.

I assume, from your comments, that the M6 would not confer much of an advan=
tage insofar as street shooting or for other situations where people are th=
e center of interest because it is similar to the R6 and, as you point out =
Walter, there is the issue of the shutter speed dial.

Thanks
Dave