[LRFlex] Re: Polarizer

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:39:44 -0600

Recently, you wrote:

> From: S Gardner <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hmmm . . . I find this interesting . . .
>
> I already deleted David's original response or I'd reply to it, but I
> recall him saying he has quite happily used a linear polarizer for
> years with his 'R' series cameras and may prefer the results to those
> he gets with a circular polarizer.
>
> H. Herr suggested David may have used negative film with enough
> latitude to compensate exposure errors, but I'm wondering if that's
> true and if not, a linear polarizer may indeed 'work'.  David, do you
> shoot 'chromes with your linear polarizer attached?
>
> Not what I'd expect based upon what I've been told to believe, but I
> have a real strong bias for experience over theory.

I can confirm that both kinds of polarizing filters "work", in that you'll
get an exposure on the film. The main difference is that metering with the
linear filter will be less reliable, though I've not noticed any major
problems in that regard, either. The effect of linear polarizers is
stronger than the circular, at least for those that I have.

And, to answer another poster's question, I use the normal thickness B&W
polarizer with my 28-70, and haven't had problems with vignetting, but it
is tricky to adjust the filter at some FL settings. I'd think that the
thin version would be even more difficult to use with that lens.

Regards,

Neil Gould