[JA] Re: Juno 5 address search engine

  • From: George H Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 19:43:03 -0700

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 "Robert M. Cosby" <jvpoa@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>I just had a disturbing event:  I tried to search my address book
>for a known email address, and because my search entry was
>not case capitalized, it could not locate it.  Is this not dumb?
>This is the reason that Juno clutters up my address book with
>case (capitalization) variations of all existing email addresses.  I
>need it to save all new addresses, but case, of course, does not
>matter for email addresses anymore.

Hi Bob, and All,

Case has never mattered in e-mail addresses.  In practice, all e-mail
addresses are lowercase.  Nor does case matter when using Juno's "Find"
associated with the "Address Book".  Juno's "Find" in both Juno v4 and v5
is case-insensitive.  No matter what you capitalize or don't capitalize
in your 'search entry', Juno's "Find" should find all address entries
that match the string of letters you've entered.  If your Juno
installation is not finding appropriate matches, it could be your
installation has been corrupted.

Juno does recognize capitalization though when it sorts your address book
entries.  That's the reason Juno allows you to clutter your address book
with case variations, giving you maximum options.

>I surely wish Juno 5 had not removed our ability to put all necessary
>email addresses into the Send to box at one time.  At least then it
>would sort them so that duplicates would not go out, and the whole
>batch could be pasted into another email service.  Now, with the 50
>limit, it creates an extra chore for those of us with large personal
>email address lists.

To be honest, I haven't tried to send an e-mail to 50+ addresses.
However, as an anti-spam measure, Juno has basically NEVER allowed you to
send a single message to more than addresses, so limiting the number of
addresses you can enter to 50 or less seems perfectly appropriate.  This
goes way back...  5 or 6 years ago when this List was sent out manually
using the Juno software we had to 'relay' messages out to members in
batches of 50.

>So far, nobody has responded to my request for information on
>locating and opening old, large email folders.  If we cannot even
>identify the 17 files in our User folder, we haven't even begun to
>solve our Juno problems.

Probably because we don't all necessarily have 17 files in our User
directories.  The files are NOT the same in versions 4 and 5...  so maybe
you could let us know which version your '17 files' are in and then list
the files you're interested in learning more about.  By the way, many
(but not all) of the User directory files are text files and you can open
them in a word processor or text editor by simply changing the file
extensions to .txt.  Write down the original extension, so you can change
them back after nosing around in them.

George Lunt ..... so. cal.