[JA] 2 things

  • From: jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 19:24:12 -0400

> From: Joann Lee <dnehoc@xxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:09:55 EDT

> Wouldn't Juno be doing themselves a public
> relations coup, as well as supporting many people, by
> continuing  this free email service? Where canwe write?

A coup has to be a novelty.   A continuation of the same old policy may
have some sort of value, but it has no value as a public relations coup.
As for writing, perhaps a better question than where is, why?

> If Juno were a serious business and cared about its customers,
> I'd  say write to their NYC address. Since they're not ... write to
> their NYC address and don't expect an answer.

Yes, Juno cares about customers.  Problem is, we aren't customers; at
least I am not.  I'm a free rider.  Juno's customers are the advertisers.
 To the extent that the customers care about us, Juno will care.
However, the advertisers don't much care about us, because we seldom buy
the stuff that they pay Juno to advertise.  If you, unlike me, are a
customer, perhaps they will pay attention to you.

Of course there won't be an answer to us non-customers.  Answers cost
money.  For that matter, even throwing away those letters, if they are
paper letters, will cost a slight amount of money.  Why will the company
be more eager to supply the service for free, when someone organizes a
letter writing campaign to make it cost more money?   To me, this method
seems more likely to backfire than succeed.

> This notice is applied to all my outgoing email: Please do
> NOT send me email w/attachments, photos, pictures, etc.
> My Juno service offers ONLY text email. Thanks. Joann
> This notice is applied to all my outgoing email: Please do
> NOT send me email w/attachments, photos, pictures, etc.
> My Juno service offers ONLY text email. Thanks. Joann

Shorter is sometimes clearer:

Please, never send me pictures or other attachments.  Juno, my
Email server, will lose any message that has an attachment.

True, "lose" is somewhat too strong a way to put it, but sometimes
shortness and clarity are more important than precision.  Incidentally, I
can receive attachments.  Earlier this year I told people to send
attachments to my special Juno address rather than this ordinary one, but
now I seldom use Juno 1.49 so it is no longer necessary.

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org