[JA] Re: 2 things

  • From: J�rel DD Arbaugh <computerist@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, no-tag-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:49:51 PDT

}Subject: [JA] 2 things
}From: Joann Lee
}Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:09:55 EDT
}
}Second thing: yesterday just for the exercise I went looking for mail at
}webmail.juno.com ... and found about 20 very large messages, dating back
}to January 2001 waiting for me. As it turns out, they all had photos,
}drawings or other attachments ... which, of course, would not be
}delivered to my win3.x computer ...
}

        It is a known, that likely is not said here enough, that a
message of over 64KB total (headers + body) size will not download in to
1.49.  These stay on the juno computers until accessed in some other way,
OR deleted automatically by juno, at some unreliable, unspecified, age.
(MONTHS!)

}My reason for mentioning this is that I didn't realize that was
happening
}and at first I was extremely annoyed at the 8-month delivery delay ...
}until I opened a couple of messages and found the stuff that interfered
}with delivery to my "everyday" computer.
}
}I don't recall anybody's mentioning this sorry fact of life to/on this
}list ... and I wonder to what extent it may be an explanation for some
of
}the delays other 3.x / 1.49 users have written about. As you see I've
}added a signature line or two to my outgoing ... maybe my friends will
}get the message now ... but on the assumption that they've ignored all
my
}other requests not to send pictures, etc., I guess I'll have to check
}webmail once a month to see what I'm missing.
}Joann
}agoodlistateer

        With juno no longer officially supporting 1.xx, it is rarely
mentioned in here.  Note that MIME and attachments will still arrive,
UNLESS they cause the message size to be too big.

}This notice is applied to all my outgoing email: Please do NOT send me
}email w/attachments, photos, pictures, etc. My Juno service offers ONLY
}text email. Thanks. Joann
}This notice is applied to all my outgoing email: Please do NOT send me
}email w/attachments, photos, pictures, etc. My Juno service offers ONLY
}text email. Thanks. Joann
}

        Once should be enough, but some of them do not realize that some
things create MIME text/plain + text/html copies of messages that they
send.  As an extreme example, both juno 5 and the AOL software tend to do
this without warning if the sender is not using the default font on the
sent message, or performs a cut/paste copy from another program.  (The
fix for each is different!)

        Most HTML that I get is SPAM, but some is just from users that do
not realize what their program is sending.
--
| Computerist.    This user is located in California.  It is a violation
of California law to send unsolicited commercial mail to this user.
---