[JA] Lost mail

  • From: Carolyn Stoffel <carolynstoffel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:09:24 EDT

Jerel -

>       Are you on 5?  If anything older, then you may be able to
>recover >by:
>
>1:     Run scandisk (should do this anyway after a crash or power
>failure!) and save "lost clusters" as file[s].

------

1.49, CHKDSK /f. Standard operating procedure.  Don't know how many of
the 209 messages I'd read and deleted - not many, and I was in the midst
of writing a reply which I think disappeared.

>2:     Look thru the \*.chk files, and ID any that may be juno
>folders.

------

Two .LOG files, deleted. DIRECTOR.FRM, garbled, edited, moved to the
correct directory. Outbox, saved to another folder number, checked, moved
to the real Outbox. 29 messages, 2 of which were unusable (no text in the
last one....), saved, read, processed appropriately.

'Member, I've been through this before.

>3:     From juno, attempt to import that/those as folders.

------

Nope, go to DOS and my TSR. Re-name .CHK files carefully as FOLD####.FRM
files.

Figuring Juno would take hours to "fix" itself, I popped in just before
bedtime. Planned to let it run all night. In Juno all went well, but it
locked up on exit, still that way the next morning. Ran CHKDSK again,
fiddled a bit with .CHK files, tried it again and it seemed to be OK.

Trouble is that this problem on top of the loss - at Juno - of about two
days' worth of mail, probably 400 messages, reading messages has become
work instead of fun. So my Inbox is humungous..... With today's 274
messages - including this one - I'm pushing a thousand messages. Don't
know how many I'll manage to clear out before I give up for the night.

Later -

853 messages - OUCH! - left in my Inbox. Wonder how long it will take to
switch to the "Deleted" folder, how much longer it will take to exit
after about 7 minutes to save .one. message....

Carolyn Stoffel
Rakena Basenjis - Puppup and Cotton
The Canine Contingent; The Puppuppies - Pendant, Insula, Mosey
Phoenix, Arizona
carolynstoffel@xxxxxxxx (No Internet access)
http://rakena.freeyellow.com/index.html