[jhb] Re: IT Guru There?

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:50:28 +0000

Thanks Paul,

The bits I understand make sense. I hope my son is home this weekend, so he can use the advice. I'll keep you posted.

Gerry Winskill

On 13/01/2011 10:26, Paul Reynolds wrote:
This could be a Wireless channel issue.  Your machines may be set for one
channel while the Mac defaults to an alternative one.  Having cycled the
router the wireless channel use may well be determined by the first wireless
equipment to successfully negotiate a connection hence the Mac connected OK.

A second potential issue is network access.  On some routers you can set
whether wireless connected equipment can 'see' each other on the network.
With an Ad Hoc connection being made by your daughters Mac, her network
group is likely to be different to yours and this can cause issues.

Even the speed of connectiom may be an issue.  One or other of the laptops
could be atempting to connect at 10Mbs, whilst the others at 100Mbs.  This
can cause serious problems with wireless routers and it's usually advisable
to set the router to the settings for the lowest common denominator.

In short, it's a mine field and because we all have different connection
combinations one that is not easily resolved.  The usual way of managing
these situations is to get a stable connection from the oldest piece of
equipment first.  That's likely to have the least flexible spec./connection
options.  From there add in the newe equipment one at a time and hopefully
you'll maintain stability. If in adding in a newer machine you ;ose
connection from the oldest machine, you may need to tweak the protocols of
the newer machine to connect using older protocols.

Of course, the connection issue may be as simple as a clash of IP addresses.
Make sure wireless equipment always connects using DCHP then set the router
to always assign a fixed IP to your own wireless equipment. That way any Ad
Hoc connections such as your daughters should be assigned a temporary IP
that doesn't conflict.

Plenty of food for thought there then!

Paul