[iyonix-support] Re: Epson scanner 1660 lock ups

  • From: Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:59:22 GMT

In message <8286e67d4e.peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Peter Bell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <4e7de58f76Ian_Hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Ian Hamilton <Ian_Hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The modules are correct, try the scanner in the adjacent socket. This
>> problem may be connected to the socket problem that John Crane and Roger
>> Darlington are seeing. If switching the socket does work then report the
>> information as in 'ROM 5.12 and USB' thread.
>
> Yes, it does seem similar to the problem I'm seeing with my 1660, as
> already reported in that other thread.

Well I have done some more testing tonight and found the following
strange behaviour.

I have removed from my Choices.Boot.Predesk the following items:

LoadUSB2 - my previous purchased copy of USB2
Interim - some old files supplied at various software updates

Start the scanner and wait until the light is steady and plug it in to
the Front Bottom USB socket. It is recognised in USBInfo and I can use
the scanner.

Reboot the Iyonix and re-insert the scanner into the Front Top USB
port. It is not recognised in USBInfo. Use USBKick and it now appears
but on trying to scan I get a USB I/O transfer failure.

Reboot the Iyonix and then plug in my external USB2 hub with Card
reader attached into the Front Top USB socket. The Hub is recognised
in USBInfo but no Card reader appears. Using USBKick establishes the
Card reader. Plug the scanner into one of the ports on the external
USB hub and it appears in USBInfo and I can scan.

Reboot the Iyonix. Insert external USB hub into Front Bottom socket
and HIB and Card reader appear.

All the above seem to be consistant results on trying it at least 3
times per scenario.

From the above it seems that there is something strange going on with
the Front Top USB port.

I have sent the information to John/Castle

Doug
--
Using a Iyonix PC 512Mb, RISC OS5.12, !NetFetch & !MessengerPro.
All based on UK technology, No Windows here