[iyonix-support] Re: DVI on Iyonix

  • From: James Scholes <james.r.scholes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:06:25 GMT

In message <2454148.205217-tennant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          tennant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Tennant Stuart) wrote:

> On Thu 15 Feb 2007 (10:54:01 +0000), Dave Higton wrote:

[snip]

>>If it has a standard VGA connector, then it accepts standard VGA
>>voltages.
>
> The TV set input has three rows of five pins; while the Iyonix has a row
> of five pins, and a row of four pins. Its monitor has no input socket.

Um. That'd be the serial port. The VGA out is 3 rows of 5 sockets
each, on a PCI card, usually next to the USB card.

>>I have no idea why you should imagine differently.
>
> Because of the hoops we used to jump through to connect older Acorns,
> with some lines severed, others joined together, and some earthed.

Right. With computers manufactured nearly 20 years ago. Since the
A5000, I believe all RISC OS computers have come with a standard VGA
socket on board.

Certainly my RISC PC and A7000 work with whatever VDU I connect them
to!

Also, IME, LCD/TFT displays are far less likely to allow you to
display anything even remotely out of their range, which was the one
issue with using the wrong MDF on a RISC PC connected to a CRT
display.

In summary, it's not going to damage your TV. As far as your TV knows,
you're just connecting an ordinary PC graphics output (which, by the
way, you are)

Opinions expressed here are probably my own, but you can't be too
careful, can you?