[iyonix-support] Re: DVI on Iyonix

  • From: davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:53:08 +0000

Quoting Chris Evans <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Acorn used to issue dire warnings that the wrong MDF or setting in MakeModes
> could damage your monitor, I never heard of this actually happening, but
> presumably was possible and Acorn were being cautious.
> Modern monitors i.e. anything less than 10 years old dont seem to have any
> problems with outside spec signals.

With CRT monitors, there was the possibility that an out of range line
frequency could damage the line output stage.  There is simply no
comparable subsystem within an LCD monitor, and no known mechanism
for damage to occur as a result of input signals outside the correct
frequency ranges.

> In short don't worry.

Agreed!

Dave