[iyonix-support] Re: Booting doesn't complete

  • From: Alan Adams <alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 23:11:00 GMT

In message <a03ad5524f.acld75@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <4f65c3524f.D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In message <137a50524f.Andrew-Pin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> [snip]
>>
>>> I have a suspicion that it can be temperature related -- when I moved
>>> my Iyonix from bare floorboards to a less draughty spot things
>>> improved dramatically.  Replacing the power supply didn't eliminate
>>> the randomness.
>>>
>>> So you choices seem to be 1) turn the heating up 2) hibernate until
>>> Spring 3) emigrate to somewhere warmer :-)
>>>

>>> Regards
>>
>> I did wonder whether it could be to do with the temperature. I have
>> been trying to survive for most of the day without heating (= my
>> effort to reduce my 'carbon footprint') and the weather has been
>> colder recently. So I may have to do option (2).  :-<<
>>
>> But could it be that the PSU is beginning to fail? Nixiyo is now 5
>> years old.
>>
>> Perhaps JB could comment on this?
>>
>> Thanks for responses so far.
>>
>> Dave Lane
>>
> My first PSU failed after 2 months, so I don't think time alone is as
> big a factor as the vagaries of individual PSUs. The replacement has
> lasted 18 months so far...

> George

My understanding of the "pyjamas" startup problem is that it is caused
by the processor and the graphics card starting up and both trying to
be the master of some resource. Which one starts up faster determines
whether it is the processor (as it should be) or the graphics card
which controls the resource.

The relative speed of startup could well be dependent on the
temperature, and on various supply voltages, so could be a symptom of
either or both variables.

In other words a failing supply could cause the symptoms, but the
symptoms are not necessarily indicative of a failing power supply.

I could of course be misunderstanding the situation...

Alan

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx