[interfacekit] Re: BHandler::fToken

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: interfacekit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 02:55:39 +0100 CET

"Marc Flerackers" <mflerackers@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would write something if I had the time, but I spent already lots
> of time
> this week just writing these e-mails :). And I rather spend time
> writing
> code :P. Actually I do work on an app=5Fserver, but one for MS windows,
> which
> I started more than a year ago now. At the point I joined OpenBeOS,
> my
> app=5Fserver was very different from the BeOS R5 one, so I joined the
> interface kit to work on controls instead, since that code works
> unchanged
> on windows and BeOS (yup all code is written and run on windows :P).
> When
> progressing, more and more windows code was eliminated, and now 90%
> of the
> code in the libs is OpenBeOS code. The libtranslation for example is
> 100%
> OpenBeOS, as are all translators. Nowadays apps like StyledEdit
> compile,
> build and run on windows. I noticed however that in order to make
> apps work
> the same way, or even just work, you have to mimic the app=5Fserver
> much more
> closely then I did, it's from that point I started to do some
> research on
> the R5 app=5Fserver.

Nice work! But I would prefer it the other way around; being able to
execute Windows apps on BeOS - but I can completely understand you,
that you haven't tried that yet :-))

> > SHARE people SHARE!
> I don't have time to write eveything down what I know, and my notes
> are
> scatered around, however if you have a problem with something you can
> always
> ask on the list, that way it also gets some more trafic :).

Sharing would be nice, though. Perhaps, if you find the time, you could
write some newsletters about it (don't feel too bad for not doing this,
though, or I would have to feel bad as well ;-)).

> > Here I don't agree. I think once you have a better method you have
> > implement it!
> But I think it's better to see if it has to be optimized in the first
> place
> :).

Right, often optimizations don't work out the way they ought to,
sometimes they are even slower than the implementation before. (don't
ask for reasons, sometimes trying is the only way to find out 8-))

> I'll try to look at the 'FOB2' format once I find some time, to see
> if it's
> smaller :).

Well, we don't have to copy it, but of course, we could.

Adios...
   Axel.