[interfacekit] Re: BHandler::fToken

  • From: Erik Jaesler <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: interfacekit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:33:08 -0800

Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Erik Jaesler <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>map for an unused token.  How about this compromise solution:
>>continue
>>to place "returned" tokens on the stack, but don't use them until the
>>token counter maxes out.  Also, use a queue instead of a stack to add
>
> There is just one little problem with that method (depends on the
> implementation, though :-)): when the token counter overflows, there
> are about 4 billion entries on the stack... hm... that doesn't sound
> very nice, does it=3F :-)

Well, I suppose if I used a *little* intelligence I might think to put
some kind of cap on the size of the queue. ;)  Perhaps a few hundred or
a thousand tokens?  My thinking is that while you probably aren't *ever*
going to overflow the counter and use the entire capacity of the queue
at one time, if you find yourself enjoying the extended up-time that is
often the priviledge of the BeOS user =) you may, over time, overflow
the counter.  It would be a bummer if from there on out, every allocated
handler token had to checked against the map to make sure it wasn't
being used -- the queue gives us a fast way to get tokens we *know*
aren't being used.  Granted, your box would have to be up a *very* long
time before you overflowed the counter; nevertheless, it would be nice
if the general case was that you either got a token based on the counter
or from the queue rather than having to do the check.