[ian-reeds-games] Re: Another big response

  • From: Craig Brett <craigbrett17@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 20:25:16 -0500 (EST)

Hi Ian,

Unfortunately, I haven't got the wrapper code here, but if you can wait a week for it, I'm heading home next week and can grab it then. I thought I'd put it on my website, but I only included the test program's source code and the dll for the wrapper, not the wrapper's code itself. Once there, I can look at some polling / eventing options. This would probably work more consistently than word counting and calculating time before a sound playback. If not, then going with what Carlos says GMA use will probably work for you too.

What Carlos proposes about changing keys could work, though I'll admit I like using the arrow keys. If you do decide to go with the ScreenReaderAPI, it offers some hooking functionality you could take advantage of to rest control of those keys from the screen reader. This will solve our problem, but obviously there's a pitfall that if the user moves out of the game, they won't be able to execute whatever commands you've hooked away from the screenreader, so you'll have to give them back to the screen reader when the user leaves focus from the application and grab them back when they return. It's not so scary really, but then I'm speaking as someone who's not really used this yet, so take that consolation with a pinch of salt.

Hope you're well,

Craig